Before the Titans departed Azeroth, they charged the greatest species of the world, the dragonflights, with the task of watching over it – in case any force should threaten its perfect tranquility. There were many dragonflights in that age, yet there were only five that held dominion over their brethren. It was these five flights that the Titans chose to shepherd the budding world. The greatest members of the Pantheon imbued a portion of their vast power upon each of the flights’ leader whom themselves were created by the titans from the dragon known as Galakrond. These majestic dragons became known as the Aspects.
- Nozdormu, the Timeless One
- The massive bronze dragon chosen by Aman’Thul, the Highfather of the Pantheon, to guard time itself and police the ever-spinning pathways of fate and destiny.
- Alexstrasza, the Life-Binder
- The red leviathan chosen by Eonar, the Titan patron of all life, to safeguard all life in the world. Due to her supreme wisdom and unlimited compassion for all living things, she was crowned the Dragon Queen.
- The lithe green dragon, and Alexstrasza’s younger sister, chosen by Eonar to watch over the growing wilds of the world from her verdant realm, the Emerald Dream.
- Kalecgos, the Spell-Weaver
- Former investigator for Malygos and guardian of Anveena, he succeeded Malygos as the new Blue Aspect during the Embrace.
- Malygos, the Spell-Weaver
- The blue dragon chosen by Norgannon, the Titan lore keeper and master magician, as the guardian of magic and hidden arcanum. After declaring war against all mortal spellcasters, he was killed by agents of Alexstrasza.
- Neltharion, the Earth-Warder
- The mighty black wyrm chosen by Khaz’goroth, the Titan shaper and forger of the world and given dominion over the earth and the deep places of the world. He was driven mad by the whisperings of the Old Gods and managed to drive the blue dragonflight to near extinction. He is now known as Deathwing. Slain by Thrall, adventurers, and the other Aspects at the Maelstrom.
It’s uncertain if the remaining Aspects will choose a replacement for Neltharion. Especially in light of the Aspects being drained of their power at the end of Patch 4.3 when they used the Dragon Soul to destroy Deathwing. Perhaps there will be a power struggle amongst the Black Dragonflight resulting in a new leader for the flight, but not a Dragon Aspect.
Following the Cataclysm, the main storyline for the Badlands is centered around Rheastrasza and her research of the black dragonflight and of a way of purifying them. She ends up capturing the black dragon, Nyxondra, forcing her to lay eggs for her experiments. Although she feels pity for the black dragon, she knows it is for the greater good. After she succeeds in creating a purified black dragon egg, she is eventually found and killed by Deathwing, who destroys the egg as well. However, we soon find out it was not the purified one, but Rheastrasza’s own egg that was destroyed. I can’t help but feel a little sad for her sacrifice on both counts.
Here’s a reminder of the cutscene: Rheastrasza’s Gift
Of course, it’s Wrathian who hatches from the egg. Now the more I find out about Wrathian, the more interesting things get. I really envy those rogues on their legendary chain.