When I first saw the Mogolympics post on JD’s blog, I was intrigued. The theme brought back memories of a game I played on our Apple II computer as a child. It was called Olympic Decathlon and involved the usual events like running, shot put, hurdles and long jump.
Check out the game intro below:
This made me think of the other one I used to play on those old floppy discs.
Geez, it’s hard to believe I used to play these when games have come such a long way since then.
So, reading through the details of the contest, my first thought was it might be a bit difficult but the events were so diverse that it also sounded like a lot of fun. Designing outfits based on the event they represent? And you couldn’t use the same sex and race twice. The part I really liked was the fact that the judges wouldn’t know who’s entry belonged to who.
I guess I was a little vague in my comment though as JD asked if I would be joining in. Of course I said yes. When I logged in that afternoon, he whispered me:
You not participating in the Mogolympics is like Brazil not being in the World Cup
LOL. He may have something there.
From what I can see, there’s a lot of interest already, including many names I recognise. The good news is, that we have a month to design all ten outfits.
The first outfit will be our flag bearer who represents the faction we’re given, in my case – Ramkahen.
The nine actual medal events will be:
- Archery – Build an outfit around your favourite bow.
- Cycling – Build a biker outfit to compliment the Chopper. It must be either Leather or Mail.
- Discus – Build an outfit around one of the shield skins seen here
- Equestrian – Build an outfit to compliment one of the horse mounts in the game. (Faction limitations apply, so no Orcs on a Stormwind pony)
- Fencing – Time for some swordplay. Build your best outfit around the 1h sword of your choice.
- Javelin – Build an outfit around the polearm of your choice.
- Hammer Throw – Build an outfit around your favourite two-handed hammer.
- Wrestling – Using one of the “championship” belts, design your own Azerothian pro wrestler. Think of the oversized belts, such as the Firemend Cinch.
- Freestyle – Build your own NPC.
So there you have it.
Oh and one more thing, let the games begin!
I couldn’t imagine you not competing, it would indeed be like “Brazil not being in the World Cup,” lol!
Can’t wait to see all the entries!
Just wanted to let you know I have rescinded the flag bearer restriction after all (as per the new note on my post). So go ahead and show your fans Ramkahen pride!
JDs comment about you not participating was very true. though i have to say i would be able to recognise which ones are yours anyway since you have a certain style :)
Ahhhh classic Ultima! I played the heck out of that game. Mogolympics looks cool. I’ll have to check that out.
I wanna see your Ramkahen Flagbearer!
I definitely agree with JD and Navi re. you not being in the Mogolympics!
@Tome – Yep, I’m getting that impression :P
@JD – Ok great, now I just need to design one :)
@Nav – Hmm, ok work on less stylish pics, check!
@Zal – Woot, someone remembers it :)
@Kam – I think the same could be said about you competing to my mogging friend :P