When I first saw the Mogolympics post on JD’s blog, I was intrigued. The theme brought back memories of a game I played on our Apple II computer as a child. It was called Olympic Decathlon and involved the usual events like running, shot put, hurdles and long jump.
Check out the game intro below:
This made me think of the other one I used to play on those old floppy discs.
Geez, it’s hard to believe I used to play these when games have come such a long way since then.
So, reading through the details of the contest, my first thought was it might be a bit difficult but the events were so diverse that it also sounded like a lot of fun. Designing outfits based on the event they represent? And you couldn’t use the same sex and race twice. The part I really liked was the fact that the judges wouldn’t know who’s entry belonged to who.
I guess I was a little vague in my comment though as JD asked if I would be joining in. Of course I said yes. When I logged in that afternoon, he whispered me:
You not participating in the Mogolympics is like Brazil not being in the World Cup
LOL. He may have something there.
From what I can see, there’s a lot of interest already, including many names I recognise. The good news is, that we have a month to design all ten outfits.
The first outfit will be our flag bearer who represents the faction we’re given, in my case – Ramkahen.
The nine actual medal events will be:
- Archery – Build an outfit around your favourite bow.
- Cycling – Build a biker outfit to compliment the Chopper. It must be either Leather or Mail.
- Discus – Build an outfit around one of the shield skins seen here
- Equestrian – Build an outfit to compliment one of the horse mounts in the game. (Faction limitations apply, so no Orcs on a Stormwind pony)
- Fencing – Time for some swordplay. Build your best outfit around the 1h sword of your choice.
- Javelin – Build an outfit around the polearm of your choice.
- Hammer Throw – Build an outfit around your favourite two-handed hammer.
- Wrestling – Using one of the “championship” belts, design your own Azerothian pro wrestler. Think of the oversized belts, such as the Firemend Cinch.
- Freestyle – Build your own NPC.
So there you have it.
Oh and one more thing, let the games begin!