This awesome bow remains as one of my most treasured possessions. It was about the highest accolade you could get at the time since it really tested your skills as a hunter. I was in a raiding guild with four other hunters and the only Ancient Petrified Leaf I ever saw went to the class lead back then. It was quite some time before I saw another one as a few of us went in to farm one for my toon. Having a 50% chance to drop from Majordomo’s chest in MC, it only took a couple of runs to get. You also needed to go to Onyxia’s Lair to kill her for the Mature Black Dragon sinew but could also drop from any of the black dragonkin in Burning Steppes.
From there, you could head to Felwood to speak with the ancients in Irontree Grove and obtain their quests. Here’s where the real challenge began. You had to fight four demons located around Azeroth without the help of anyone – including your pet. Any interaction from other players (including heals) would cause you to fail and the demon despawning. It would also take some time before they would appear again.
You really had to use all your skills as a hunter to defeat each one. The closest I probably came to this was kiting Drekk in UBRS back when it was a raid. I didn’t follow any guide back then but I found this on Wowhead and I’m sure it would have been a huge help if I had this information back then.
Winterspring – Artorius the Doombringer
1. Buffs – Intellect Buff is nice
2. Potions – Health/Mana and a potion for removing a magic debuff.
3. Group – At least 1 other to run in front of you and train the mobs.
4. Go to near Wintersaber Rock in Winterspring and look for a Tauren named Artorius the Amiable. Approach him when you are ready to begin the fight.
5. Begin Kiting Artorius towards Everlook, Serpent Sting is his weakness and so, run and use Rank 1 Arcane shot to keep him tapped and use highest rank Serpent Sting to bring him down. WATCH OUT FOR HIS DEMON DEBUFF.
Burning Steppes – Klinfran the Crazed
1. Buffs – Mark of the Wild, Intellect
2. Potions – Health/Mana
3. Group – Not required
4. Approach Franklin the Friendly south of Blackrock Mountain to begin the fight.
5. The fight starts and he will periodically enrage. If he hits you while enraged, he can do upwards of 2000 damage. The Solution: Scorpid Sting. It unenrages him and makes him hit you for a measly 1 damage. Run in and melee for 2-3 hits, wing clip rank 1, and run out, he will enrage. Rinse and repeat.
Un’Goro Crater – Simone the Seductress
1. Buffs – Fortitude, Mark of the Wild, Intellect
2. Potions – Health/Mana, Greater Nature Protection.
3. Group – Not required.
4. Approach Simone the Inconspicuous and her pet, Precious, wandering around the Hot Springs of Un’Goro.
5. As soon as the fight starts, run in and Freeze Trap her pet Precious. Proceed to Viper Sting her, it is her weakness, it will Silence her. Run in and melee until she begins casting. At this point run out and Viper Sting again, her lightning bolt HURTS. If you don’t make it away in time, the Nature Protection Potion will help. Keep Precious Freeze Trapped until the fight is over, then you can kill him separately.
Silithus – Solenor the Slayer
1. Buffs – Everything you can get.
2. Potions – Health/Mana AT LEAST 2 GREATER SHADOW PROTECTION
3. Group – WARLOCK
4. Approach Nelson the Nice as he wanders around Southern Silithus.
5. BEFORE THE FIGHT: Duel the Warlock and have them Curse of Recklessness you. DO NOT END THIS DUEL. Have the lock keep using the curse every time it wears off.
6. Begin the fight and run in and Wing Clip Rank 3. It will immobilize him. Run out and shoot him, but keep moving in circles so his Creeping Doom Bugs don’t touch you. They deal 150+ damage if they touch you. Every time he is un-immobilized run in and Wing Clip again. Repeat this tactic and keep using shadow protection potions.
I actually did these really late at night since I was on a US server so most people were asleep. This meant that I didn’t have the advantage of buffs or people clearing the path ahead of me so defeating each one gave me a real sense of accomplishment.
Once you had collected all their heads, you could return to Felwood to obtain your reward – Rhok’delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers.
You could also loot a Mature Blue Dragon Sinew from Azuregos (or the elites in Winterspring) for an 18-slot quiver. I managed to farm mine from Azuregos when he was able to be soloed. The quiver has since been converted to an epic 24-slot bag which I still use. However, since the Sundering this epic chain is no longer available to players.