With the promise of a whole new island to satisfy our love of fun and games in Patch 4.3, it was the first thing I did when I logged in this morning.
How to get to the Darkmoon Faire
In Orgrimmar, you can talk to the Darkmoon NPC who’s located very close to the Flight Master, just look for the Darkmoon banner next to her. She offers a quest that leads you to the Island. Once there you will receive the Darkmoon Adventurer’s Guide which will allow you to get extra tickets. Otherwise, just speak to the Information Officer in the left tent just as you enter the Faire.
Darkmoon Games & Rewards
The new quests and dailies are a nice change from the old hand-ins you used to do for rep. You can purchase some Darkmoon Game Tokens from Trixi Sharpworth who’s located in her own little tent towards the far end of the main row just before the Deathmatch Pavilion on the RHS. You have a choice of Pouch o’ Tokens (5) or Sack o’ Tokens (25).
- Shooting Gallery – Score 25 points in 60 seconds. or the Quick Shot achievement, if you’re latency is low.
- Human Cannonball * – Accumulate 5 Cannon Target Points by landing near the target. If you think you hit the Bullseye (which awards 5 points and another achievement) wait a few secs for the achievement/quest to register before moving.
Note to self: Remember to cancel levitate before you get shot out of the cannon or you’ll just keep going, and going, and going… even after cancelling the wings =/ I ended up hitting fatigue but thankfully didn’t die.
Hogs – Collect a miniature version of Hogger by whacking a lot of gnolls. You’ll need a whopping 45 points from one session of Whack-a-Gnoll as opposed to the normal 30. That may sound impossible if you’ve played the game before but they’ve increased the number of potential Hogger spawnings to compensate.
Looking for other Darkmoon pets and mounts?
All you have to do is race towards three marked posts (blue > green > red) before returning to the starting gate.
Things to note:
- Springboards can shoot you forward (so make sure you’re facing the direction you want to go)
- Speed boosts allow you to walk on water for several seconds
- Electrical wires will stun, however,
- Your ‘Jump to Banner‘ button makes you immune to hazards for the next 4 seconds.
- Darkmoon Racer Roadhog: Complete The Real Race with the Racing Strider within 11 tolls to receive the Fire-Eater’s Vial as a reward.
‘The Real Big Race’, includes a new Rocketeer racer, more boosts and race buffs, and new achievements for beating The Real Big Race with both racers.
- Big Rocketeer: Gold rewards a Race MiniZep Controller
- Big Race Roadhog rewards a Checkered Flag
- Rocketeer: Gold rewards an Everlasting Darkmoon Firework (see video)
A new Wanderluster racer, new achievements for beating both races with the Wanderluster and rewards.
Big Wanderluster: Gold rewards a Darkmoon Gazer
Wanderluster: Gold rewards an Attraction Sign
A new Powermonger racer, new achievements for beating both races with the Powermonger and rewards.
Triumphant Turtle Tossing requires you to toss 10 rings in one session. This may sound easy if you’ve done this previously but the turtle’s path has changed and requires a perfect score. (see video)
The easiest way to do this is to target the centre of the star formation since the turtle will run out in several different directions before returning to the centre.
Reward: Darkmoon Ring-Flinger
Ace Tonk Commander – scoring 45 hits earns you the achievement and the new Darkmoon Tonk Controller toy. I only managed to get this with another 5 or 6 tonks in the pit. It appears you will get credit for other people’s targets as I was getting credit when it looked like I wasn’t hitting anything at all. Just spam that first button and keep moving.
- Players are no longer able to destroy other players’ Tonk Targets.
- Increased the number of Tonk Targets spawned at the start of a Tonk Challenge session to 9 (up from 7). This should make the Ace Tonk Commander achievement more obtainable.
There’s also a Music Roll available from Chester if you’ve completed the B.O.O.M Box quest.
A new daily requires you to fly through a series of rings (just like the Alysrazor fight in Firelands). The aim is to stack as many charges to your Wings of Flame buff before the buff falls off giving you only 10 seconds to reach the next ring. The challenge not only comes from knowing the route and anticipating which direction to go next so timing is everything.
There are three achievements associated with the daily:
The last achievement rewards a pair of Blazing Wings for the Toy Box. Here’s a video of the entire route and a handy map to help you navigate around the island.
Test Your Strength rewards 10 tickets for 250 Grisly Trophies. These were very easy to acquire in a dungeon or raid with a lot of trash. Deepholm is another great spot since there are large groups with fast respawns. In a group, you just need to tag the mob, not necessarily get the killing blow.
The profession quests are a great way to get an easy +5pts if you’re still levelling any of your primary or secondary ones – completing all six will even give you an achievement. Speaking of achievements, you can get quite a few, from handing in all the artifacts, to sampling all the food and drink on offer. Don’t forget to visit this exotic food vendor on the outskirts of the Faire.
Cavern of Lament
Head down into the Cavern of Lament at ~74, 38, right under the submerged shipwreck. Kill one of the elites named Erinys to loot Broken Promises where you’ll receive a Ring of Broken Promises as a reward (note you can only hand this in at level 100).