With the promise of a whole new island to satisfy our love of fun and games in Patch 4.3, it was the first thing I did when I logged in this morning.
How to get to the Darkmoon Faire
In Orgrimmar, you can talk to the Darkmoon NPC who’s located very close to the Flight Master, just look for the Darkmoon banner next to her. She offers a quest which leads you to the Island. Once there you will receive the Darkmoon Adventurer’s Guide which will allow you to get extra tickets. Otherwise, just speak to the Information Officer in the left tent just as you enter the Faire.
Darkmoon Games & Rewards
The new quests and dailies are a nice change from the old hand-ins you used to do for rep. You can purchase some Darkmoon Game Tokens from Trixi Sharpworth who’s located in her own little tent towards the far end of the main row just before the Deathmatch Pavilion on the RHS. You have a choice of Pouch o’ Tokens (5) or Sack o’ Tokens (25).
- Shooting Gallery – Score 25 points in 60 seconds. or the Quick Shot achievement, if you’re latency is low.
- Human Cannonball * – Accumulate 5 Cannon Target Points by landing near the target. If you think you hit the Bullseye (which awards 5 points and another achievement) wait a few secs for the achievement/quest to register before moving.
Note to self: Remember to cancel levitate before you get shot out of the cannon or you’ll just keep going, and going, and going… even after cancelling the wings =/ I ended up hitting fatigue but thankfully didn’t die.
Hogs – Collect a miniature version of Hogger by whacking a lot of gnolls. You’ll need a whopping 45 points from one session of Whack-a-Gnoll as opposed to the normal 30. That may sound impossible if you’ve played the game before but they’ve increased the number of potential Hogger spawnings to compensate.
Looking for other Darkmoon pets and mounts?
All you have to do is race to three marked posts (blue > green > red) before returning to the starting gate.
Things to note:
- Springboards can shoot you forward (so make sure you’re facing the direction you want to go)
- Speed boosts allow you to walk on water for several seconds
- Electrical wires will stun, however,
- Your ‘Jump to Banner‘ button makes you immune to hazards for the next 4 seconds.
- Darkmoon Racer Roadhog: Complete The Real Race with the Racing Strider within 11 tolls to receive the Fire-Eater’s Vial as a reward.
‘The Real Big Race’, includes a new Rocketeer racer, more boosts and race buffs, and new achievements for beating The Real Big Race with both racers.
- Big Rocketeer: Gold rewards a Race MiniZep Controller
- Big Race Roadhog rewards a Checkered Flag
- Rocketeer: Gold rewards an Everlasting Darkmoon Firework (see video)
A new Wanderluster racer, new achievements for beating both races with the Wanderluster and rewards.
A new Powermonger racer, new achievements for beating both races with the Powermonger and rewards.
The easiest way to do this is to target the centre of the star formation since the turtle will run out in several different directions before returning to the centre.
Reward: Darkmoon Ring-Flinger
Ace Tonk Commander – scoring 45 hits earns you the achievement and the new Darkmoon Tonk Controller toy. I only managed to get this with another 5 or 6 tonks in the pit. It appears you will get credit for other people’s targets as I was getting credit when it looked like I wasn’t hitting anything at all. Just spam that first button and keep moving.
- Players are no longer able to destroy other players’ Tonk Targets.
- Increased the number of Tonk Targets spawned at the start of a Tonk Challenge session to 9 (up from 7). This should make the Ace Tonk Commander achievement more obtainable.
Test Your Strength rewards 10 tickets for 250 Grisly Trophies. These were very easy to acquire in a dungeon or raid with a lot of trash. Deepholm is another great spot since there are large groups with fast respawns. In a group, you just need to tag the mob, not necessarily get the killing blow.
The profession quests are a great way to get an easy +5pts if you’re still levelling any of your primary or secondary ones – completing all six will even give you an achievement. Speaking of achievements, you can get quite a few, from handing in all the artifacts, to sampling all the food and drink on offer. Don’t forget to visit this exotic food vendor on the outskirts of the Faire.
Did you know about the underwater cavern on the south side of the island? There are also pools of wreckage along the coast. They offer some nice goodies relevant for 85’s, inc food, potions, ore, cloth, herbs etc.
If you’d like to know some of the backstories to the Darkmoon Faire, I suggest listening to The OverLores Podcast. You can also head over to The Daily Frostwolf – Druid Edition to find out more about the ghosts in the area.