In Legion, a new archaeologist can head to the Broken Isles and level up the profession from scratch. Legion Archaeology will be quest driven with a new questline offered every two weeks. The archaeology trainer in Dalaran can teach you the next level of archaeology or you can loot the Excavator’s Notebook from a dig site or spawned mob – even as a novice.
Things to note:
- Three active dig sites will be up at all times
- Many dig sites are now markedly smaller
- Each location may be surveyed 9 times (offer 5-19 fragments and 1 skill point)
- As soon as you hit that sweet spot on a survey, a gold shovel appears
- You can hold up to 200 fragments per race
- There are only five common solves per race
- Rare artifacts now come from quest rewards
- Common solves give +5 skill points
- Rare solves give +10 skill points
At max level, the Archaeology Trainer will offer a new quest every couple of weeks to aid a famous adventurer. You will need to complete the current questline within that fortnight or your active quest will be removed and all progress lost – meaning you won’t see the quest again for another 6 months.
Order of Quest Rewards
Keystone: Mark of the Deceiver
- Bits and Pieces
- Corrupted Studies rewards some Ancient War Remnants containing the Crystalline Eye of Undravius
- Fragments of the Fjords
- Process of Elimination
- The Gates of Valor rewards an Imp Generator
Seek out Brann in Azsuna – see video
- Out of the Frying Pan
- And Into the Fel Fire
- The Apocalypse Bringer rewards Wyrmy Tunkins
- One Step Closer
- Deciphering Demonology
- Dark Secrets rewards the Blood of Young Mannoroth
- Fel Fragments
- The Purple Hills of Mac’Aree
- Through the Fog rewards the Purple Hills of Mac’Aree
- Azuna – Grey Shouls, Llothien Highlands, Legion Camp: Chaos, Farondale, Rhut’van Passage, Mak’rana, Northern Watcher Isle, Southern Watcher Isle
- Val’sharah – Bradensbrook, Dreadroot, The Crescent Vale, Shala’nir, The Wildwood, Thas’talah, Wretched Hollow
- Stormheim – Amberfall Mesa, Northern Helmouth Shallows, Citrine Bay, Warden’s Bluff, Skold-Ashil, South Helmouth Shallows, Stormdrake Peaks, Aggramar’s Vault
Demonic Archaeology Fragments: Imp’s Cup, Houndstooth Hauberk, Malformed Abyssal, Orb of Inner Chaos, Flayed-Skin Chronicle
On occasion, you’ll dig up a Pit Lord Skull instead of the usual Archaeology Fragments which summons an elite 110 Reanimated Pit Lord (18M health) that drops 3x Keystones, Artifact Power, ~14 Archaeology Fragments. Easily soloable for a max-level player.
Keystone: Ancient Suramar Scroll
Dariness the Learned offers a quest to find Tae’thelan Bloodwatcher, the High Examiner for the Reliquary, in Azsuna. You’ll find him stationed in the Reliquary camp, a short distance from Illidari Stand.
- The Reliquary Calls
- Echoes of my Ancestors
- A Beacon of Hope rewards the Starlight Beacon
- Worth Its Weight
- Fit For An Elven Queen
- Sifting Through the Rubble rewards the Crown Jewels of Suramar
- Goblin Archaeology
- Explosive Results
- What Was Once Lost rewards the Ravencrest Cache containing the Key of Kalyndras
Seek Tae’thelan once again in Suramar – see video
- Unspeakable Power
- Narrowing Down
- Uncovering the Orb of Sciallax rewards a BoA relic for your artifact weapon which scales up to 840 and grants a minor trait (e.g. Dark Shard of Sciallax)
A month later, you return to the High Examiner in Azsuna – see video
- Academic Exploration
- Tried and True
- The Keys to Success rewards the Key to Nar’thalas Academy. Advance your studies or just hang out in the time-lost version of Nar’thalas Academy.
- Suramar – Meredil, North-Western Suramar City, The Gates of the City, Southern Ambervale, Koralune Estate, Moonwhisper Gulch, Crimson Thicket, Northern Moonwell Retreat
- Azsuna – Nor’Danil Wellspring, Temple of a Thousand Lights, The Ruined Sanctum, Llothien, Old Coast Path, Ruins of Zarkhenar, The Tidal Marsh, Garden of Elune
Highbourne Archaeology Fragments: Pre-War Highborne Tapestry, Violetglass Vessel, Inert Leystone Charm, Quietwine Vial, Nobleman’s Letter Opener
Keystone: Highmountain Ritual Stone
- History of Highmountain
- Surveying Student
- Misdirected rewards the Spear of Rethu
Return to Tessa in Thunder Totem – see video
- A New Lead
- Crystal Eyes
- Drogbar Deception rewards Prizerock Neckband
- The Right Path
- Laying to Rest rewards the Spirit of Eche’ro
- Highmountain – Northern Snowblind Mesa, The Witchwood, Fields of An’she, Screeching Crag, Darkfeather Valley, The Haglands, Bloodhunt Highland, Sepulcher of the Sky, Dragon’s Falls, Prowler’s Scratch, Whitewater Wash, Pinerock Basin
Highmountain Tauren Archaeology Fragments: Stonewood Bow, Moosebone Fish-Hook, Trailhead Drum, Hand-Smoothed Pyrestone, Drogbar Gem-Roller
Archaeology will finally have its own building between the Engineering shop and Forge of Fate in new Dalaran.
Pristine solves are displayed on the top floor of the archaeology shop. Common projects can be converted into Restored Artifacts and traded in to Dariness the Learned for older fragment crates.
- Getting Your Hands Dirty – Complete 50 Legion digsites.
- Sifting Through the Sand – Complete 100 Legion digsites.
- No Stone Unturned – Complete 250 Legion dig sites. Rewards: <name> the Groundbreaker title.
- Surveying the Land – Obtain one of the rare archaeological finds.
- This Side Up Obtain eight of the rare archaeological finds.
- A Keen Eye – Obtain all of the rare archaeological finds.