As the nights get cooler on this side of the world, what better time to warm yourself against a virtual flame? The Midsummer Fire Festival is just revving up and there are a few new toys in 2022 if you’ve completed all the achievements already. You can still pick up a Crown of the Fire Festival if you’ve previously completed A Thief’s Reward.
The Midsummer Fire Festival has been around since 2008 and like inflation, the loot gets upgraded with each instalment. This year it will run from June 21 to July 5. If you’re starting from scratch, here are some things to look forward to:
When you first kill the holiday boss, Lord Ahune drops a pickup quest – the Shards of Ahune, rewarding you with a blue Tabard of Summer Skies or the orange Tabard of Summer Flames as well as 20 Burning Blossoms. If you decide you want the other colour, you can destroy the tabard you have and then ask the tabard vendor for the other colour – this also counts towards the tabard achievement.
The holiday boss can also drop the Frostscythe of Lord Ahune in addition to capes at iLevel 210.
You can find the Midsummer Merchant for Horde players and Midsummer Supplier for Alliance players in the major cities across Azeroth.
- Helm of the Fire Festival – 350 Burning Blossoms
- Mantle of the Fire Festival – 100 Burning Blossoms
- Vestment of Summer – 100 Burning Blossoms
- Sandals of Summer – 200 Burning Blossoms
- Brazier of Dancing Flames – 350 Burning Blossoms
- Burning Defender’s Medallion – 500 Burning Blossoms
- Cozy Bonfire – 350 Burning Blossoms
- Fire Eater’s Hearthstone – 300 Burning Blossoms
- Set of Matches – 500 Burning Blossoms
- Fire Festival Batons – 50 Burning Blossoms (new for 2022)
- Insulated Dancing Insoles – 100 Burning Blossoms (new for 2022)
- Summer Cranial Skillet – 150 Burning Blossoms (new for 2022)
There are four pets from the Midsummer Fire Festival.
- Frigid Frostling drops from Lord Ahune
- Spirit of Summer – 350 Burning Blossoms (named Captured Flame on the vendor)
- Blazing Cindercrawler – 350 Burning Blossoms
- Igneous Flameling – 350 Burning Blossoms
The Crown of the Fire Festival is a reward for capturing all the flames from each capital city.
The Searing Scorchling used to be a drop from Lord Ahune but was later replaced by Ice Chip. It was later re-added in Patch 4.2 with a small chance to be looted from Zen’Vorka’s Cache sold by Zen’Vorka. This vendor is located in the Molten Front once you’ve collected x30 Marks of the World Tree from the dailies.
There were four new achievements in 2012:
- Flame Keeper of Northrend
- Flame Keeper of Cataclysm
- Extinguishing the Cataclysm
- Extinguishing Northrend
Here are the eight Alliance and eight Horde fires in Northrend.
- Howling Fjord Fort Wildevar at 58,16 (Alliance) and Camp Winterhoof at 48,13 (Horde)
- Grizzly Hills Amberpine Lodge at 34,61 (Alliance) and Conquest Hold at 19,61 (Horde)
- Zul’drak The Argent Stand at 41,61 (Alliance) and the Argent Stand at 43,71 (Horde)
- Storm Peaks K3 at 42,87 (Alliance) and K3 at 40,86 (Horde)
- Crystalsong Forest Windrunner’s Overlook at 78,75 (Alliance) and Sunreaver’s Command at 80,53 (Horde)
- Dragonblight Wintergarde Keep at 75,44 (Alliance) and Agmar’s Hammer at 39,48 (Horde)
- Borean Tundra Fizzcrank Airstrip at 55,20 (Alliance) and Bor’gorok Outpost at 51,12 (Horde)
- Sholazar Basin River’s Heart at 47,66 (Alliance) and River’s Heart at 47,62 (Horde)
The Uldum and Twilight Highlands fires are separate with the Deepholm, Vashj’ir, and Mount Hyjal fires being neutral.
- Mount Hyjal Nordrassil at 62,22 (neutral)
- Vashj’ir Silver Tide Hollow at 49,42 (neutral)
- Deepholm Temple of Earth at 49,51 (neutral)
- Uldum Ramkahen at 53,32 (Alliance) and Ramkahen at 53,34 (Horde)
- Twilight Highlands Thundermar at 47,28 (Alliance) and Bloodgulch at 53,46 (Horde)
New in 2013 the bonfires of Pandaria – Flame Keeper of Pandaria (Horde) or Flame Warden of Pandaria (Alliance) as well as Extinguishing Pandaria (Horde) or Extinguishing Pandaria (Alliance)
- Binan Village, Kun-Lai Summit – 71.1, 90.9
- Dawn’s Blossom, The Jade Forest – 47.2, 47.2
- Zhu’s Watch, Krasarang Wilds – 74.0, 9.49
- Longying Outpost, Townlong Steppes – 71.5, 56.3
- Soggy’s Gamble, Dread Wastes – 56.1, 69.5
- Halfhill, Valley of the Four Winds – 51.8, 51.4
- Mogu’shan Palace (both bonfires), Vale of Eternal Blossoms – 77.8, 33.9
If you prefer an addon to track all the flames, you can use the one from HandyNotes Midsummer Festival.
Oh and if you haven’t picked up a Qiraji Guardling, they can only be captured outside the gates and ruins of AQ this time of year.
Updated for 2022
If that pet doesn’t drop this year on one character or another, I may through something out of the nearest window.
Nice write up, Cymre :)
I think this is my favorite holiday event, gives me an excuse to fly all over the place, revisiting places I like but I think I’ve given up on the ever getting the pet!
Also my spelling seems to get worse and worse. That sneaky “through” should of course be a “throw”.
I always love the screenies you take, Eye candy that they are ^_^ I did all events on my main So I left to debate which alt I will drag along this time.. I did try to attempt as many as I could and repeat on my main for the money one can gather at cap level But there never enough time in a day besides the event to do that for me. But it is always fun.
The most handy guide to Midsummer Fire Festival 2012 by @Cymre /love http://t.co/tk35H8hu
That bloody pet. It bettter drop for me this year.
Hey look, I see me on your blog!
And Tome.. you used up all your luck on camels.
Maybe the Frostsythe will drop for me this year. I’ve been trying to get that for years now with no luck.
I’m with Zalajin, Frostsythe has refused to drop for me every year.
@Erin – GL for the pet
@Az – Thx :)
@Tome GL anyway :)
@Night – TY :) I do try and make them all unique and found a couple of those spots just yesterday :D
@Cool – yes, you do help me from time to time with these, like some of the rares, so TY :)
@Aspana – TY :D
@Nav/Zal/Soco – GL on all your drops this year. :)
That cheeky ice chip! Freezing your boobs like that :D